Winter Events in London
Beyond the Deepening Shadow: The Tower Remembers*
Beyond The Deepening Shadow is a display of thousands of flames in the Tower of London Moat. This artistic tribute was designed by Tom Piper with sound artist Mira Calix & will run for 8 nights from the 4th November 2018 until the 11th November 2018. The commemoration will unfold during the four hour display, starting with a procession led by the Yeoman Warders of the Tower of London. The Yeoman Warders are distinguished service men & women & will ceremonially light the first flame before a team of volunteers light the rest of the installation.
4th-11th November 2018 – 17:00-21:00
23rd November 2018-6th January 2019
Skate at Somerset House
The ice rink returns to Somerset House on the 14th November & will be open day & night. Skate Lates will feature music nights throughout the festive season & the Fortnum’s Lodge is the perfect place for a sweet treat after a skating session.
The Fortnum’s Lodge will be serving a number of delicacies designed for two to share including Mulled Wine & a Sharing Mince Pie for Two (£28), Champagne & Chocolate Fondue for Two & Red Wine (£34), Baked Camembert with Brioche for Two (£40).
14th November 2018-13th January 2019
Southbank Centre Winter Market
For six weeks Southbank Centre are adding two new food & drink pop-ups to their retinue. Visit Bar Under the Bridge for cocktails & a selection of cheese-inspired dishes including cheese boards, charcuterie, croque monsieur & baked Camembert.
The Circus Bar will be situated in front of Royal Festival Hall & will feature fire-pits, hot smoked salmon baguettes, steak, mulled cider & mulled wine. A range of traders will also be serving festive street food including traditional foods like bratwurst & sweeter treats like pancakes & waffles.
The Southbank Centre Food Market is also open from Friday – Sunday in Southbank Centre Square.
9th November 2018-27th December 2018
Westminster Pier is situated on the North shore next to Westminster Bridge & the Palace of Westminster. The pier sits directly opposite the London Eye & County Hall. Westminster Pier is just a short walk away from a number of attraction in the city.
St. Katharine Pier is situated on the North shore next to Tower Bridge and near the Tower of London. St. Katharine Dock was constructed in 1837 by Thomas Telford and was popular with expensive cargo from around the world. Today St. Katharine’s is a haven for yachts with bars, restaurants and shops.
Greenwich Pier is located on the South shore of the River Thames in the heart of maritime Greenwich. The pier is situated closely to a number of landmarks including the Tea Clipper Cutty Sark, Old Royal Naval College, National Maritime Museum & the Queens House.
Thames River Services Timetable
Standard Ticket Prices
About Thames River Services
Thames River Services (TRS) have been operating daily sightseeing tours since 1986, our current service operates between Westminster Pier, St. Katharine Pier (for Tower of London) & Greenwich Pier. During the summer months we operate the only river tours to the Thames Flood barrier, departing Westminster Pier, St Katharine Pier & Greenwich Pier five times a day.
Our vessels M.V London Rose & M.V Avontuur IV operate on these services along with M.V Thomas Doggett (owned & operated by TRS) and a collection of other modern & traditional vessels owned by our partners.
- Please listen to announcements & instructions from the crew through the PA or in person.
- Even in summer it can be cold, we recommend wearing a jacket.
- Outside decks can become slippery in cold weather, we advise wearing sensible footwear.
- Seating on-board is limited and we ask that passengers do not leave bags & clothing unattended on chairs. Unattended items may be moved by the crew.
- Smoking is permitted in the designated smoking area but we ask that you take other passengers comfort into consideration.
Boarding, Departure & Tickets
- Please have all your tickets ready before boarding. Tickets can be shown in printed form or on a smart phone / tablet.
- We kindly ask that passengers familiarise themselves with the departure pier, we also ask that passengers arrive at the pier no later than fifteen minutes before the stated departure time.
- Boarding closes 1 minute before departure to ensure a prompt sailing.
Food & Drink
- We do not allow any drink to be brought aboard the boat. The crew are authorised to confiscate any alcohol that is found.
- There is one fully licensed bar on-board. The bar serves a wide range of beers, ciders, wines, spirits, soft drinks, hot drinks & snacks. The bar accepts cash, card & contactless payments (minimum spend applies for card transactions).